• July 12, 2021, 2:07 a.m.

Isaac, being the unrepentant optimist that he is, often talks about longer life spans, life extension tech, long lived aliens, etc., both committing specific episodes to these topics and mentioning them in passing in other episodes.

But what about the opposite? The reasons and implications of possibly shorter life spans deserve attention as well, don't they? For one, short lived aliens appear in some space opera settings. But there is a number of more or less probable scenarios in which the mean life expectancy of humans in the future may also go down (to ~60 years, I think, but maybe even lower). Some of these scenarios involve utopian/dystopian developments on Earth itself, some others may be predicated on environmental factors of space exploration such as radiation, low gravity, etc. Due to a combination of these factors something like a scheduled and/or assisted suicide at the onset of senescence may even become a cultural norm...

I think it would be interesting if Isaac made a couple of episodes on this. Or have I missed something?

• July 12, 2021, 6:10 a.m.

What pops into my head when contemplating would could lead to average lower life spans would be antibiotic resistance,