• Feb. 12, 2021, 11:58 a.m.

Now scientists are actively discussing the problem of space debris in near-earth orbit. A plan has already been developed to remove debris from orbit. But he has not yet entered the active phase. We also know about plans to launch a large number of new satellites. Most of these will be microsatellites. Over time, these satellites will require maintenance, refuelling or disposal.
    Here we can bring the view of the Earth's orbit to a condition called Kessler Syndrome.
    A concept called the Dyson sphere has also been proposed long ago.
    It is a large, unified structure in near-Earth orbit, which includes all kinds of communication, observations, as well as ways to use the energy of the parent star and much more.
    How long do you think it will take to move from orbital pollution to efficient use?
    And do you think the Dyson sphere is an efficient use of the orbit?
    Or would it be better for humanity to simply find a way not to leave debris around the planet?

• Feb. 12, 2021, 7:11 p.m.

I don't believe our current population trends are going to support the push toward humans moving into space on a grand scale. The human population of the earth is increasing now but fertility rates are plummeting. If this trend continues we should expect the human population of the earth to level off and then nose dive. Maybe life extension technologies changes that but I have doubts about that. Human population has to continue to grow otherwise there won't be a Dyson sphere.

It cost a lot to put mass in orbit so anything that goes to waste by becoming debris should be avoided.

• Feb. 15, 2021, 9:10 a.m.

Hmm ...
    So you think that all current programs for flights to the Moon and Mars will simply remain as an experiment?
    I agree that humanity often does different things just to show: look at how we can.
    I will also agree that we would rather just continue to launch satellites than build a structure in orbit.
    Also, wondering how ubiquitous commercialization of space will affect new space companies?

• Feb. 16, 2021, 7:26 a.m.

We will be going to space for scientific purposes, manufacturing purposes, and probably to collect resources. I don't see us building O' Neil Cylinders because living space on earth becomes scarce. I am actually concerned that humanity will "family plan" itself into extinction. Some people take the view that natural selection will kick in and eventually the earth will be mostly populated by humans who instinctively want to have big families. This will cause fertility rates to turn around and start rising again creating a need for off-world habitats. This view assumes that within our genes is code or at least the potential for code that creates within us a desire to have many offspring. However such code wasn't necessary to get us to ~7.5 billion humans today. Existing, tried and true code creating a desire to engage in the procreative act worked well enough until technological highly effective birth control came along. Modern birth control is a recent development which hasn't been around long enough to know the full ramifications its existence will have on humanity.